CocoaPods is one of the best dependency manager for IOS apps based languages like Swift, Objective C, and all other languages that run on Objective-C runtime. With CocoaPods you can manage external libraries in a standard format. Eloy Durán and Fabio Pelosin began the development of CocoaPods in August 2011 and made it public in September. Below we have provided the steps to successfully fix the error “You need at least Git version 1.8.5 to use Cocoapods”
Similar Articles: Resolved Chrome Error: ‘ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR’
Cocoapods Error Solution for ‘You need at least Git version 1.8.5 to use Cocoapods’ –
First, you need to remove the existing git in your system using the following commands:-
1. To remove git from your system use the command “which git” that will take you the path let’s say “/usr/local/bin/git“.
2. Then use the command->$ sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/git to remove existing git from your system.
3. Now you to reinstall git again. Put the following command to reinstall it.
$ brew install git
You might get a warning saying:
“git 2.13.2 is already installed, it’s just not linked.” You can use the command `brew link git` to link this version.
4. Then run the command mentioned below –
$ sudo chown -R $(whoami) /usr/local/share/ $ sudo chown -R $(whoami) /usr/local/lib $ brew link --overwrite --dry-run git
Some people might recive this error saying –
“Could not symlink share/git-core/templates/description Target /usr/local/share/git-core/templates/description already exists. Remove it using this command: rm ‘/usr/local/share/git-core/templates/description’ “
5. Now to force the link and overwrite all conflicting files enter the following command –
brew link –overwrite git
Enter one more command to list all files that would be deleted –
brew link –overwrite –dry-run git
6. Then finally run the command–
$ brew link --overwrite git
This is the way you can fix the CocoaPods Error saying ‘You need at least Git version 1.8.5 to use Cocoapods‘. We hope your issue is resolved after following the steps given above.