The best way to fix the problem of a Samsung TV remote that’s not working is to identify the primary source of the problem.
This might happen if the button is worn out. You can replace it with a new button. The remote may not pair with your TV or the sensor might not be working. It will be difficult for you to identify and fix any issues until you know what is causing them.
There are technically only four things that can cause your Samsung remote to stop working well. If the device is unresponsive, you may need to call customer service for a replacement.
To find out if there’s a problem, the first thing you should check is the battery.
Start by replacing the batteries, cleaning the upper edges of the remote, and making sure the terminals are properly connected. If the problem persists, check out these solutions.
How does a Samsung TV Remote Work?
A Samsung television remote works by pairing itself with the TV, typically, during the pairing process, the devices will send an identification code to each other to “match” or “pair” the connection.
After the devices communicate over Bluetooth, the pairing process begins.
Your device must be within the range of each other to communicate. So if you take the remote outside, it will not be able to interact with your device.
This could be a disaster.
When you first set up your television and turn it on, the remote automatically pairs with the set.
Most other TV remote uses infrared light to communicate.
The remote control needs to have a clear line of sight to the television to operate it.
If the remote isn’t located within your line of sight, you’ll have to go closer to the TV to make it work.
The on/off button uses infrared light, while the other buttons use the Bluetooth connection.
Common Issues for Samsung tv remote not working
When your TV remote suddenly stops working, you want to know what is causing it so you can fix it.
The most common culprits are issues with the batteries, Bluetooth or infrared problems, or a malfunctioning remote.
If you can turn on and off your TV with your remote, but the other functions are not working, you can try the following steps:
- The power cord needs to be disconnected before the TV can be turned on.
- Plug the television’s power cord back in after 30 seconds.
- Use the TV set to fix the remote.
Sometimes the remote gets disconnected from the TV and you need to reset it.
A simple reset and repair is usually what it takes to fix a problem. Try all the commands on the remote to see if they work after you’ve gone through the reset and repair process.
There are other things that you can check if you find the smart TV remote not working.
Ways to fix a Samsung TV that is not responding to the remote
Restart your TV
Restarting your TV will refresh the system and allow you to start anew.
- Turn off your TV.
- Plug it out from the power source.
- For 30 seconds, wait.
- The TV needs to be plugged back into the power sockets.
- Use the remote to turn it on and see what happens.
Perform a digital camera test
A digital camera test can help you determine whether the remote is working or not.
- Go to your phone and turn on your camera.
- The remote should be pointed at the camera’s lens.
- Press the button to turn on the remote.
- The camera screen should show the red eye of the remote to indicate it’s working.
If the remote doesn’t work, the problem is in the remote sensor. If its working, then the problem is in the Samsung TV sensor.
Perform a Hard Reset of the Remote
A hard reset of the remote is the next thing that needs to be done.
- First, you need to remove the batteries from the remote. Wait 60 seconds before plugging the power cord into the television.
- You can turn the TV on by plugging the power cord back into the outlet. You have to use the on/off switch on the TV itself.
- Put the batteries in your remote once the TV is back on. Try to use every function on the remote.
This will hopefully correct the problem. Eliminate the batteries as the source of the problem if you are not able to do so.
Replace the Batteries
If the remote is not working, a lot of people simply remove the batteries from it.
They then place a new set in the remote and start going through different buttons.
If the remotes become less responsive or don’t start at all, then you know the problem. You’ll need to look for the battery.
If you have batteries that have not been used for a while, they may not hold as much power as you’d expect.
There are so many devices out there that check the charging capacity of your battery as well.
You need to swap out your batteries for a known good pair.
Check Your Connections
Connecting problems can stop your Samsung smart TV remote from working. You should start by troubleshooting your internet connection. In order to watch your favorite shows and movies, a smart TV needs a working internet connection.
- It’s time to turn off the TV. You don’t necessarily have to take it out of the power source.
- The power source for your modem should be disconnected. If you have a cable modem, it’s a good idea to remove the coaxial cable from the wall jack.
- Wait up to 20 seconds.
- Attach the coaxial cable to the wall jack. The cable needs to be tight and secure. It’s possible to try a different cable or remove and replace splitters.
- The power source for the modem needs to be plugged in again.
- Wait until the modem boots back up and shows it is online.
- Wait until your internet connection is restored before turning the Samsung TV on again.
- Try to use the remote again.
Check the internet connection. If you determine that the internet connection’s working properly between the modem and your TV, try cleaning the sensors.
There should be a sensor in your TV and the remote should be wireless.
You can easily blow on the sensors to remove dust or use a gentle cloth.
After cleaning the sensors, try the remote again. Although the remote is supposed to auto-pair itself with the TV after a power reset, you can try fixing the two while the TV is on.
- Start the process by holding down the pause and play button on your remote.
- Your TV should start to sync with the remote after you hold it down for five seconds.
- After the sync process is complete, try using your remote.
- You may want to check the other functions of the remote, but you should still pay attention to the on/off switch.
Check for Updates
If none of the above steps work, it’s likely your TV’s software is out of date.
From the main menu, click Settings, and then click Updates. You’ll see a message that says, “The download is being prepared.”
You can choose this and select “network” if it’s available.
Selecting yes will allow you to install any new updates, and your TV will reboot.
When All Else Fails
The remote control is not working? Make sure you know your warranty status and if it will be covered under warranty.
You could have a faulty sensor on your TV or the remote is broken.
If you own a Samsung TV and it’s broken, you may be able to get a replacement or an authorized repair vendor will replace it for you.
If your Samsung TV remote is not working, you can troubleshoot or fix the problem in many different ways. Turn it over to check the buttons and other parts. Make sure you’ve replaced all of the batteries.
Alternatively, if you’re experiencing issues with the red light flashing, you could try pairing it. Also, if you’re not using it, you can calibrate your touchpad, to help it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to fix a Samsung TV remote sensor that is not working?
The remote sensors of Samsung TVs are quite easy to repair. You just need to follow a few simple steps to fix them. Here’s how you can fix a remote sensor that is not working:
1. Unplug the TV from the wall outlet.
2. Press the power button for about 10 seconds.
3. Press the reset button located on the back of the TV for about 10 seconds.
4. Turn the TV back on, and check if the remote sensor is working now.
How To Troubleshoot a Samsung Smart TV remote touchpad?
Samsung Smart TVs have a touchpad remote, which is a good way to navigate through the user interface of the TV. It has a few buttons on its front end, and one of them is the volume up/down button.
You can check whether this button is working fine by pressing it and seeing whether it makes the volume increase or decrease. If it doesn’t work, you can try connecting another device to the TV and see whether it works.
How to fix a Samsung remote that is not pairing?
If you’ve tried all the steps mentioned above and are still having trouble, try this method: press and hold the button on the remote until it starts blinking rapidly, then press the power button. After the remote powers up, press and hold the button until the LED light blinks rapidly again. This will force the remote to pair with the TV.
What if your remote is blinking a red light?
If you see a flashing red light on your remote, it means there is a problem with the batteries. You can try replacing them, but if they don’t work, you will need to call a repair person. Alternatively, you can also try any of the working methods mentioned above.